Originally these exercises were made as parts of workshops on teaching earth science in high schools and college. Several more were added outside of workshops, so this list represents a variety of materials. Unfortunately, the number of exercises and the rise of XHTML have made it difficult for me to properly maintain each as a web site. I have taken the liberty of converting many of the exercises to .PDF files that will not be further maintained. Many of the original links no longer work, but associated key words will help you to search for similar resources. I hope you find something here of value, and I thank the original writers of these materials for their efforts
College level exercises using analytical instrumentation
- ICP-MS: Water sampling and interpretation exercise and data set.
- ICP-MS and IC: Dissolution of minerals in water and a curve fitting excel spreadsheet.
- ICP-MS and IC: Analysis and modeling of fresh surface water.
- ICP-MS: Partition coefficients and mathematical modeling.
- ICP-MS: Magma mixing as a geochemical process.
- ICP-MS: Investigating the Oddo-Harkins rule.
- ICP-MS: Eu isotope ratio analyses and counting statistics.
- ICP-MS: Pb-U-Th radiometric dating dating.
K-12 level instructional and visual aid materials
- Handout showing how thin sections are made.
- How thin sections of rocks are made.
- Movie clip: Decide where to cut the rock
- Movie clip: Make the first cut
- Movie clip: Make the second cut
- Movie clip: Mark the area you want for the section
- Movie clip: Cut along your marked lines
- Movie clip: Grind one side flat and smooth
- Movie clip: Epoxy the chip to the glass slide
- Movie clip: Cut off the excess chip
- Movie clip: Grind off most of the remaining rock
- Movie clip: Check the thickness with a polarizing microscope
- Movie clip: Grind the remaining rock to 30μm thickness
- Movie clip: Cement on the coverslip
- Grain size in clastic sedimentary rocks.
- Grain size in igneous rocks.
- Grain size in metamorphic rocks.
- Tectonic framework of New York State.
K-12 lab exercises
- Mineralogy and Geology
Other links to useful information
- Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive.
- National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT).
- New York State Learning Standards and Core Curriculum (including MST).
- Global Change Master Directory (GCMD).
- Kids volcano facts.
- Teachers at Work.
- Geological Society of America resources for teachers.
- Mineralogical Society of America resources for teachers.
- Evolution: science vs. nonsense.
- Rocks around the house!
- Online Guide to Earth Science Lesson Plans.
- Union College virtual field trips.