Questions on Electromagnetic Waves
- What is an action-at-a-distance force? How is
it different from typical forces we deal with in our daily lives?
- Aside from the electric and magnetic forces,
name another action-at-a-distance force.
- What is a field? In what way is it a better
model to use than the action-at-a-distance force?
- How is the concept of field different from
concept of "aura"?
- In an electromagnetic wave what is it that travels?
How fast does it travel?
- What if electromagnetic waves traveled
instantaneously? How would that affect our lives?
- When the spaceship Enterprise fires on and
blows up its enemy's ship does anyone hear the explosion? Do the people on
the Enterprise see the explosion?
- What is a photon? What determines its
frequency, its speed?
- What is the significance of the amplitude of an
electromagnetic wave? What does it signify in the photon picture?
- What is a Gamma-ray? What generates gamma-rays?
- How are X-rays generated? Name some of the
practical uses of X-rays.
- What is the typical wavelength
of: radio waves, microwaves, and visible light.