Questions on Oscillatory Motion
- Are all motions that repeat a given path of
- Give an example of oscillatory motion other
than a pendulum or spring.
- What is the period of oscillation? How do you
measure it, say for a pendulum?
- What is the frequency of oscillation? What is the standard unit of its measure?
- How is the period of oscillation related to
- What is, roughly (order of magnitude), the
frequency of oscillation of a child on a swing?
- What is the order of magnitude of the amplitude
in the previous question?
- Comment on the difference between two
oscillations of the same frequency, but different amplitude.
- Do all oscillations have only one fixed period?
Give an example.
- What is damping? Give a few examples of
the damping of oscillations.
- Why is forcing necessary to maintain
- Give several examples of forced oscillations.
- Think of a child being pushed on a swing.
Why does it make sense that resonance occurs at the natural frequency?
What would happen if the forcing (pushing in this case) were not at the