CLAS C205, February 6, 2003
The Nature and Associations of the God
The story of the Hymn to Dionysus in art and literature
- Monument commemorating Lysicrates' prizewinning dramatic sponsorship of 334 B.C. (for more information see here):
- Literary evidence mentioned in connection with this artistic version of the myth:
- Speech of Silenus at the beginning of Euripides' "satyr-play" Cyclops (story begins at line 10)
- Ovid, Metamorphoses, Book III (see lines 597-691)
- Dionysus, Ship, Vine, Frolicking dolphins: Painting by Exekias, ca. 540 B.C.