Questions on Gas Lasers
- What is a gas and how is it different from a
vapor? Give examples for each.
- What types of transitions lead to laser
light emission in gas lasers?
- How are typical gas lasers pumped?
- Explain the role of helium and neon atoms in
the laser transitions for a He-Ne laser.
- Do helium and neon atoms react and bond to
form a molecule? If not, why?
- What is the most common output wavelength
(and color) of He-Ne lasers? What other colors can they lase at? What was
the wavelength of the first operating He-Ne?
- What is the role of the ballast in gas
- What is the output of a typical He-Ne laser?
Its typical physical size?
- How is a tunable argon-ion laser made to
produce different color laser light?
- In what ways are the argon-ion lasers
different from the He-Ne?
- Why are the ion lasers popular for use in
laser light shows?
- What is carbon-dioxide?
- How do carbon-dioxide lasers operate? How
are they pumped, what transitions in them lead to lasing, and what type of
optical cavity is used for their operation?
- What is the medium in an excimer laser?
- How is the operation of excimer lasers
different from other gas lasers?
- What are some of the advantages of excimer
lasers? What are some of their disadvantages?
- What is a chemical laser? Give an example of
one and explain how it is different from other gas lasers.
- What is MIRACL? How does it operate? What is
it used for?